Faulty oven sparks blaze

Microwave oven caused a fire at a flat in Weymouth Street, Hemel Hempstead.
Microwave oven caused a fire at a flat in Weymouth Street, Hemel Hempstead.

A man aged 84 was taken to hospital after breathing smoke when fire broke out in his kitchen because of a faulty microwave oven.

Firefighters were called to sheltered housing in Weymouth Street, Hemel Hempstead, when an automatic fire alarm sounded last Wednesday and saw ‘thick, toxic smoke’ billowing from a second floor flat.