Four men and two teens charged over Nic Cruwys attack

Nic Cruwys

Nic Cruwys

2
Have your say

Four men and two teenage boys have been charged in connection with the assault of Watford FC fan Nic Cruwys, who is from Hemel Hempstead.

Mr Cruwys, 44, suffered serious head injuries when he was assaulted in Little’s Lane, Wolverhampton on the outskirts of the city centre, on March 7.

The attack happened as Mr Cruwys and a group of friends were making their way back to the train station after they watched their team take on Wolverhampton Wanderers.

A total of 13 men and teenage boys have so far been questioned over the attack and in the last two days, detectives have charged six of them in connection with it.

Three men and a 14-year-old boy – who cannot be named for legal reasons – were charged on Sunday, August 2 with wounding with intent. They were:

> Daniel Lloyd, 18, a student from Tillington Street, Stafford.

> Joseph Lister, 18, a carpenter from Palmer Close, Wednesfield.

> Robert Beech, 18, an estate agent from Springhill Road, Wednesfield.

Another man and a teenage boy, also aged 14, were charged with the same offence on Monday, August 3:

> Ryan Meer, 18, a scaffolder from Gailey, Staffordshire.

All the men are due to appear before Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court on September 18 while the two boys are due before Wolverhampton Youth Court on August 20.

An 18-year-old and a 17-year-old remain on police bail while five others will have no further action taken against them.

Detective Sergeant Adam Keen said: “I would like to thank everyone who has come forward with information following the various appeals we have made during this investigation.

“Our inquiries are not yet over and we are still working to get justice for Nic and his family as they continue to help Nic on his road to recovery.”

After the incident, a Go Fund Me page was set up by young Wolves fan Ollie Floyd to raise money for Mr Cruwys’ wife Jodie, and their two young children.

In a recent post to the page, Ollie said: “As goes Nic’s condition, he is currently ‘serious, but stable’ and has been moved out of intensive care into a specialist care unit.

“I think everyone will join me in saying that all of our thoughts and prayers are with Nic and his family at what must have been an impossible last month or so.

“Once again, I’d like to say a huge thank you to all who have been (and continue to be) involved in this campaign for Nic.

“The support it has received has gone beyond any expectations I could’ve had.

“All the money raised will go a long way to helping Nic and his family try and recover, over the coming weeks, months and possibly longer.

“As well as this, the vast numbers of supportive messages will have done a huge amount to help the family through the past month and for that, they are incredibly grateful.”