Umbrell-argh terror

John Waller

John Waller

0
Have your say

A PENSIONER who accidentally impaled himself on a bright yellow umbrella had to be cut free by firefighters.

As John Waller tried to close it, its spokes stabbed through his thumb and index finger and cut part of his hand.

The 68-year-old said: “It just trapped my hand in the umbrella. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was in tears. The pain was awful.

“It was at 3.30pm on Friday and lots of kids were coming out of school and they were all staring at me.”

Paramedics rushed to help John, who had been walking to Berkhamsted town centre from his Cobb Road home.

But their wire cutters were not big enough to detach the umbrella from John’s fingers, so Berkhamsted firefighters were called to the scene in the town’s Charles Street.

Hooks on the spokes had been twisting in John’s fingers whenever someone touched the umbrella, so they carefully cut him free from it.

He was rushed to Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury where the four-inch spokes that were stuck in his fingers were removed at about 5pm.

As he recovers from the incident, John would like to thank the medics, firefighters and passers-by who helped him.

He said: “I am going to wear my hat when it rains in future rather than carrying an umbrella.”