Man injured after fire at chip shop

Firefighters were called to the incident
Firefighters were called to the incident

A man has been treated for minor burns after a fish and chip shop’s fat fryer burst into flames last night – less than two weeks after the business reopened.

Two engines from Hemel Hempstead Fire Station rushed to the blaze in Fish & Chips, Lawn Lane, near Apsley, just after 9.50pm.

Crews used a hose, breathing apparatus and a covering jet to get it under control and had it out within 20 minutes.

A message posted on social networking website Twitter by Herts Fire and Rescue Service says: “One male casualty treated on scene for minor burns.”

It is unclear how badly the shop was damaged at this stage, but the blaze is bad news for the owners, who only reopened it on Friday, October 24.

An advert placed in the HeraldExpress newspaper a day before that date said the shop had been ‘refurbished to an exemplary standard’.

Photos around the advert show a snazzy-looking fish bar with intimate lighting and a place for guests to sit and dine on tables and chairs.

Fire service spokesman Simon Hoggett said: “Our crews did a search of the premises to ensure that the fire had not spread upstairs. It does not appear to have done so.”

Firefighters left the scene just before 10.30pm and listed the cause of the fire as accidental.

The owners of Fish & Chips were unavailable for comment but are said to be ‘very upset’.