Man set alight during bonfire at school in Berkhamsted

editorial image

AMBULANCE crews rushed to a school after a gardener accidentally set himself alight during a bonfire.

The man, aged in his 30s, had suffered flash burns across his legs, arm and lower abdomen at Haresfoot School in Chesham Road, Berkhamsted.

He suffered 20 per cent burns in the accident just before 1.30pm yesterday (Thursday) and is now in a stable condition at hospital.

Berkhamsted School – which took over Haresfoot School last month – said it was a gardener who had been set on fire.

He was working with another gardener at the time and the school was closed to the public. Pupils at the school are on their summer holidays at the moment.

School head of HR Tracey Evans said: “It was an accident. He’s in no immediate danger and it’s a lot less serious than first thought.”

The man was taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, which specialises in burns treatment, in an air ambulance operated by the charity Magpas.

Spokesman Antonia Brickell said: “We flew to the scene and administered strong pain relief and took him to the nearest specialist hospital for his injuries.”

The East of England Ambulance Service also attended the scene. Spokesman Lorna Marsh said: “Although the burns are covering a fair amount of his body, they were not blistered so they were not as serious as we first thought.”

Berkhamsted School said it would issue further details about the incident on Monday.