As the challenges facing an ageing population grow, The Hospice of St Francis is holding an open evening alongside its Annual General Meeting.
It will take place from 7.30pm to 9.30pm on Wednesday, September 24, at Hemel Hempstead’s South Hill Centre and is open to everyone from the charity’s catchment area.
Professor of health care research at the University of Hertfordshire Claire Goodman will give a talk entitled, ‘Ageing well in Hertfordshire – Myths, Magic and Possibilities.’
There will also be an update on the hospice from its director Ros Taylor, who will retire in March 2015 after 17 years of serving the Berkhamsted-based charity.
In March this year, she received an MBE from the Queen for her outstanding service to the community which stands out as an example to others.
Dr Taylor said: “We want to embrace every opportunity to engage with our local public.
“Our aim is to reach more people who are interested in our work and who want to understand more about the services we offer as well as the broader issues we’re all facing as we grow older.”
The hospice provides free care in the hospice, at home and in the community for people living with life-shortening illnesses across West Herts and South Bucks as well as support for their families and carers.
The NHS funds only 20% of its £4.7m a year running costs. It relies on voluntary donations for the remaining 80%.
Drinks and canapés will be served after the meeting at the South Hill Centre in Cemetery Hill, Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1JF. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you’d like to attend.