A family had a lucky escape after a tumble drier fire turned the utility room it was in ‘completely black’.
Firefighters were called to the end-of-terrace home in Piccotts End Road, Piccotts End, at midday today, Tuesday.
A grandmother who was in the house with her daughter and grandson spotted an ‘orange glow’ while unloading the tumble drier.
Smoke coming from the pile of clothes got worse and worse – so the three left the building, closing all the doors behind them and phoning 999.
Hemel Hempstead Fire Station crew commander Mark Mannell said: “The utility room was completely damaged.
“It was about 80 per cent damaged by heat and flames – and the rest of it was damaged by smoke.
“The whole room was completely black, but because they shut the doors it did not spread.”
Firefighters put out the blaze within an hour.