No steps planned to help the old folk

editorial image

A WALK to support old folk has been scrapped because of a lack of interest.

Organisers of Age Concern Dacorum’s sponsored walk have had to stop it going ahead because only 20 people could be bothered to sign up.

The charity was hoping that the event, due to take place this Sunday in Berkhamsted, would help towards bridging a gap made by a 20 per cent local authority funding cut.

Community fundraiser Michelle Law said: “We are feeling really sad at cancelling because each event we do is a potential source of funding for us but I don’t want to spend money on a walk that hasn’t got enough support to cover the costs.”

About 40 people took part in last year’s walk and the charity was hoping to build on it each year until it was an annual fundraiser that attracted new supporters.

Michelle said: “There’s fierce competition with other charity walks and we haven’t got a huge marketing budget to put banners up all over town.

“I don’t think that the reason for the lack of response was because people don’t see the value in what we do but I do think that many people don’t want to think about getting old. It’s the same reason we don’t put enough money in our pension pots.”

Age Concern Dacorum has not made any plans to hold its sponsored walk next year but it is confident that other forthcoming events will get support.