Turn off the dishwasher when you’re out, warn firefighters

editorial image

FIREFIGHTERS are warning people not to leave their dishwashers on when they go out or go to bed after a family escaped a kitchen fire last night (Tuesday).

A woman and her two children were able to get out of their Warners End home safely because they were woken up by their smoke alarm when the fire took hold at 11.30pm.

There was an electrical fault inside the dishwasher that had been left on and it caused a fire to spread through the kitchen, damaging the work tops.

The family were already out of the property by the time fire crews from Hemel Hempstead arrived at the house in Robe End.

The householders had followed instructions from a home fire safety check that had been done earlier this year.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus while tackling the blaze.

For more information on home fire safely checks call 0800 587 3347 or book online at www.hertsdirect.org/fire