Scorching Stags sting the Scorpions at Pennine Way

Hemel Stags club crest
Hemel Stags club crest

James Hill and Jimmy Morgan scored a brace of tries apiece as Hemel Stags eased to a 40-10 victory over Kingstone Press Championship 1 strugglers South Wales Scorpions at Pennine Way.

Stags started strongly and tries from Matthew Tebb, Hill and Matthew Cook, with a pair of Barry-John Swindells goals, saw them take a 16-0 lead just 13 minutes into the game.

A power play on the last tackle saw hooker Tebb scoot from the base of the play and stroll through untroubled, before James Cameron fed leading scorer Hill to go in at the corner.

Jy-Mel Coleman was controlling the middle of the park and Hemel scored their third try when a quick switch from right to left allowed Cook to go in at the left hand corner flag. An excellent conversion by Swindells pushed the score to 16-0.

South Wales then seemed to come alive and started to put some good moves together. Dafydd Hellard looked odds-on to score but dropped the ball.

The Stags got the ball up to the other end of the pitch, where Cameron saw a try chalked off by the referee for an apparent obstruction in the build-up.

The hosts did get another score on the half hour mark, though, and it was another last tackle power play that paid dividends.

Tebb had nearly forced his way over the line before the ball was spun left, where Morgan squeezed in at the corner. Swinells again produced a superb touchline kick for the two points.

As the half-time hooter sounded, Hemel increased their lead – the Coleman brothers combined when a pass from Jermaine to Jy-Mel sliced open the Welsh defence for an easy score.

Swindells’ kick brought the score at the halfway mark to 28-0 in Gemel’s favour.

To South Wales’ credit, they came out for the second half with all guns blazing – reducing the deficit after only three minutes through Lloyd O’Connor. Paul Emmanuelli kicked the extras and the Scorpions were up and running.

Shortly afterwards they scored again, as the ball went to the right and Kyle Scrivens touched down in the corner.

Hemel needed to make the game safe and make sure they denied the opposition a bonus point, so they came back strongly.

Hill scored his second try of the match after 60 minutes following some fine passing through the hands by several players. Swindells again made the touchline kick look easy.

The final score went to the hosts with five minutes left as Morgan just managed to stretch his arm out and touch the ball on the line. Swindells sealed the win with the boot.