Flat fire burns off block roof

Woodview Hemel
Woodview Hemel

NEIGHBOURS were woken from their beds by police and firefighters because the roof of their flat block was on fire.

More than 10 people who live at Woodview in Hemel Hempstead had to find alternative accommodation while fire officers made the building safe.

One person was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

A neighbour who had to stay with relatives in St Albans said she was worried about her baby breathing in the smoke.

The fire started in the bedroom of a top-floor flat and spread to the roof.

Four fire crews were called to the scene at 1.06am on Monday and it took them 40 minutes to get the fire under control.

Watch commander Greg Bescoby said: “The occupants didn’t have a smoke detector and they would have got out quicker if they did. I would like to remind everyone of the importance of having a working smoke alarm.”