Son of dad accused of Grovehill murder describes hearing screams

12-491     Police at the murder scene, The Wye, Hemel Hempstead.
12-491 Police at the murder scene, The Wye, Hemel Hempstead.

A teenager told a murder trial how he ran up the stairs to find his stepmum dead on her bed and his dad sitting beside her.

Daniel Wosik, 18, said his dad then told him: “Call the police, let them arrest me.”

He was giving evidence against his dad, Miroslav Wosik, 42, who pleads not guilty to murdering his wife.

At the start of the trial at St Albans Crown Court this week, the jury heard how Bernadeta Jakubszyk, 30, was stabbed to death at her home in The Wye, Hemel Hempstead, in the early hours of May 28 last year.

The couple’s two other daughters aged eight and six were asleep in the house at the time.

It happened after the Polish husband had travelled south from his home in Scotland to visit his family.

He had moved out of the family home in Grovehill weeks earlier and gone up to Scotland when their marriage hit difficulties.

The couple had been together for some eight years, having first met in Italy where they were working.

Wosik and Bernadeta, who was also Polish, moved to England in search of a ‘good life’ and set up home in Hemel Hempstead. Daniel, his son by a previous marriage, came to live with the family when he was 15.

During one trip his father made back south to see the family, the court heard, Daniel was woken at about 3am by “really loud lady’s screaming like you hear in a scary movie.”

He ran upstairs to the master bedroom. “I stopped in front of the door, I heard a choking sound. I was in shock and I couldn’t step into the room,” he told the jury.

“Because of the light from outside I could see my dad sitting on the bed and a little bit of her laying down. She was half on the bed and half on the ground facing down. My dad was rocking forwards and backwards. He said ‘Call the police – let them arrest me.”

Later he noticed his father had a wound to his stomach and his “insides were coming out.”

His wife died from two deep stab wounds which had punctured her right lung.

She bore cuts to her hands and forearms indicating she had put up a fight to try and ward off the blows and she had been stabbed once in the head.

The knife used was found under the couple’s bed and the prosecution say the defendant used it to inflict the wound to his own stomach.

The jury was told that by the time of her death Bernadeta was getting her life back together and meeting up with her Polish friends.

“This was obviously too much for the defendant to bear and he took the ultimate revenge on her,” said Anne Evans, prosecuting.

The case continues.