Another heavy defeat for Levy Green despite influx of new players

Share this article

A much-changed Leverstock Green side found familiar problems as they crashed to an 8-3 defeat at home to London Colney.

Levy had taken steps to arrest their alarming slide which has taken them to the foot of the SSML Premier Division table, bringing in seven new players during the week after last week’s humiliating 10-0 loss at Hanwell.

However, the defensive issues which have plagued them all season were still in evidence as they were hit for a further eight goals by a very much in-form London Colney side.

Among the new signings this week have been four players on loan from neighbours Hemel Hempstead Town, plus Imad Abbasi - previously with now-defunct Hinckley United - and Jose Figura from the Nike Academy.

However, they were unable to prevent Colney from running riot, and the visitors could have taken the lead inside two minutes as a defensive mix-up left Matt Newman through on goal, but Dan Blacktopp saved his shot, and a follow-up effort from Russell Gallagher.

It only took them ten minutes to find the net though, as a shot from Martin Collins was parried by Blacktopp, only for Spencer Clarke-Mardle to follow up and net the rebound.

More chances came and went for London Colney as the Green defence continued to give the ball away repeatedly, but eventually they added a second on 29 minutes when Clarke-Mardle met a cross from the left and hooked in his second goal.

A shot from Collins struck the bar two minutes later, but on 34 minutes Newman lobbed a pass into the path of Collins for him to run on and lob Blacktopp for the third goal.

Leverstock’s new-look midfield and attack had shown some promise during the first half, but visiting keeper Charlie May did not have to make a save.

A half-time change reorganised the defence, and five minutes into the second half the Green gave themselves a glimmer of hope.

Chad Pinching’s ball put Abbasi through on goal and Abbasi’s shot was saved by May, but Prince Alozie was on had to score from the rebound and reduce the arrears to 3-1.

However, any hopes of a recovery were dashed on the hour when Leverstock were reduced to ten men. Alozie was on the end of a strong tackle from Dan Fitzgerald, but retaliated and was shown a straight red card.

Four minutes later Collins scored his second of the match with a long range effort to make it 4-1, and Newman had a simple finish two minutes later for a fifth.

The goals were flooding in at this point, with Leverstock pulling back another goal on 61 minutes when Terrell Miller finished well inside the box.

It was 6-2 on 75 minutes when Colney defender Tom Smith eventually finished from close range after a series of rebounds from a corner, but Jose Figura replied three minutes later with one of the best goals of the game.

However, further goals for the visitors never looked far away, and Collins was gifted his hat-trick goal five minutes from time and Newman struck in stoppage time to leave a final score of 8-3.