Attfield of dreams for Levy Green new boy

editorial image

Hanwell Town 0
 Leverstock Green 1

Leverstock Green’s impressive start to the season continued as they claimed their third successive away league win with an injury time goal at Hanwell Town.

Substitute James Attfield was the hero for Green, drilling home in the 92nd minute to snatch the three points for his side on his debut.

The game had started in a heavy rainstorm, and dark clouds and thunder and lightning continued to affect play throughout the afternoon.

Leverstock looked bright early on and, in the 10th minute, Toby Akin played a one-two with James Dabbs, but was denied by a superb tackle from Oliver Duffy on the edge of the box.

Towards the middle of the half Hanwell, however, started to get on top. Marvin Tabi had to head off the line from a Hanwell corner after 28 minutes and, from the resulting corner, Kyle Watson headed wide.

In the 30th minute a pass from Terry Smith put Watson through on goal, but Green keeper David Bailey – the fifth stopper used by manager Steve Benitez this season – saved well with his legs.

At the other end, Leverstock should have done better from a counter-attack just before the interval as Adiel Mannion broke away and had the chance to square for Akin, but he couldn’t get the ball across.

Hanwell continued to have the majority of the chances in the second half and three players had shots in a goalmouth scramble after 52 minutes, but two of the efforts were blocked and the last went wide.

Six minutes from time, Hanwell had their best chance of the game when the ball went across the face of goal and Luke Henney came in at the far post looking certain to score, but Bailey denied him with a point-blank save.

The Green goal was under threat again in the last minute, but Oliver Duffy hit his shot across goal from six yards out.

A point would have been a decent result for Levy but, in the second minute of stoppage time, the visitors unbelievably snatched all three.

Owen-Edwards played a short corner to Ben Gill, whose cross was not properly dealt with by keeper Keiran Jimmy. The ball dropped for Attfield, who had only been on the field ten minutes, and he drilled a low shot in off the post for a stunning winner.

The result moves Leverstock up to second place in the MSSML Premier Division table, with nine points from their opening four games.