Berko go out of FA Vase after a Nash and grab defeat

Berkhamsted FC manager Mick Vipond
Berkhamsted FC manager Mick Vipond

Berkhamsted were left wondering quite how they had been beaten after suffering a shock 1-0 extra-time defeat to Hullbridge Sports in the FA Vase second round.

It was a real smash-and-grab victory for Hullbridge, who scored with their only meaningful shot at goal, while Berkhamstesd squandered a host of golden chances.

Comrades manager Mick Vipond was at a loss to explain how his team had not won the tie, and said: “I’ve not been involved in a game like that for as long as I can remember.

“We must have had seven players, maybe more, who had decent chances to score.”

It was one of those days for Berkhamsted, after the supporters’ coach broke down on the way to the game and the team kit turned up late.

“The supporters said after the game that they just knew it wasn’t going to be our day,” said Vipond. “The players were just simply shocked afterwards and couldn’t believe we had lost.

“It’s a real shame and I really felt for the players because every one of them gave everything they could have.

“When you get to extra-time and the opposition only have one shot and score it, it’s tough to take.”

Berko started the game brightly and created chance after chance throughout the match, with Connor Calcutt, Josh Chamberlain, Jamie Gavin, James Towell and Steve Hawes all coming close to breaking the deadlock.

Despite their dominance, the Comrades just could not manage to put the ball in the net – and they were made to pay for their profligacy in extra-time.

With Berko pressing forward for the winner, Hullbridge’s teenage substitute Liam Nash broke away and fired the ball past Carl Tasker to snatch the win and send his side through to the third round of the competition.

“It was hard on us but we’ve just got to look at what we’ve got now,” said Vipond.

“We are in a good position in the league and still in some other cup competitions. It was just one of those days and now we move on from it.”