Brilliant Boars bag the cup

editorial image
Share this article

AFC Boars did the Berkhamsted Sunday Football League proud on Sunday as they triumphed in the final of the Hertfordshire FA Sunday Senior Cup.

In front of more than 300 spectators at the Herts FA County Ground in Letchworth, Boars ran out 4-2 winners over PJ Hitchin FC to lift the trophy.

Taking on the side who knocked out Comets Sports Club in the semi-finals, Boars fought back from 1-0 down at half-time to race into a 4-1 lead before conceding a last minute penalty.

Goals from Ryan Lee, Jamie Hall, Curtis Donaldson, and Sonny French did the damage for Boars, to ensure they became the third BSFL team to lift the prestigious trophy.

Previous winners were Gossoms End in the 1998/99 season and Hemel Vale in the 2002/03 campaign.

Elsewhere, in league action, Premier Division side Comets thrashed AC Hemel 5-0 and 8-0 in a thoroughly one-sided double-header.

Leo Mullet, Luke Sharpley, Dan Holliman, Dan Hartley and Stuart Meaney did the damage in the first game, before Comets ran riot in the second clash.

Sharpley and Meaney bagged two goals apiece, while Hartley, Holliman, John Hussey and Jonathan Pearce completed the rout.

It was a much more even contest in the weekend’s only other Premier Division fixture, with Park Rangers and The Herald sharing a 1-1 draw.

Chris Parperi found the net for Rangers, with Kevin Headland responding for The Herald.

In Division One, meanwhile, AFC Rovers recorded a comfortable 4-1 win over The Robin Hood thanks to goals from Ben Butler (2), Luke Bartlett and Danny Tomkins.

Berko Tornadoes Reserves were on form in Division Two, blowing Drays Athletic away with seven first-half goals.

Matt Lampey (2), Tom Shaw (2), Ryan Sturges, Andy Wheeler-King and an own goal did the damage as Berko ran out 7-0 winners.

Run DFC also picked up three points as they saw off Comets Reserves 2-1 courtesy of goals from Jake Levy and Liam Wyatt.

The only match in Division Three saw AC Grapes triumph 4-2 at The Steamcoach, with Justin Seymour (2) and Danny Donovan getting the goals.

Elsewhere, Palace were the biggest winners in Division Four – bagging a 6-2 victory over Big GC FC.

Jamal Ayoub (2), Matt Wollacott, Chris Richards, Steve Masoapalati and Kenny Fitzgerald found the net for Palace.

In the other fixture in the division, Green Park Rovers and The Three Tuns played out a 2-2 draw.

Kenny Harrington notched a brace for Rovers, while Alex Kingsley and Craig Goodson were on target for Tuns.

In the BSFL Subsidary Cup, meanwhile, Warners End progressed to the second round with a 2-0 win at Echoes. Tommy Gray and Ned Ozkasim did the damage.

Boxmoor Rangers and The Queens head also progressed to the next round of the competition, seeing off The Kings Arms and The Old Bell Gate, respectively.

Booxmoor profited from a flurry of extra-time goals to secure a 4-2 victory, after the game had finished 0-0 after 90 minutes.

A Pete Canty treble set Rangers on their way in the added period, and Mark Relf also added his name to the scoresheet.

The Queens Head, meanwhile, had Ross Edwards to thank for their progression to the third round.