Comets crash back to earth

Action from The Midland v AFC Rovers. Picture by Jim Garnett.
Action from The Midland v AFC Rovers. Picture by Jim Garnett.


COMETS Sports Club saw their cup dreams shattered as they were knocked out of the FA National Sunday Cup by Lakeside Athletic.

Comets had enjoyed a fine run in the competition over the past few seasons, but their hopes of lifting the trophy were ended in a disappointing 3-1 defeat.

Chris Marsh netted the consolation goal for Comets.

It was better news for AFC Boars, however, as a Sonny French Brace was enough to see off Nicholas Breakspear 2-0 in the fifth round of the Herts Sunday Senior Cup.

In the league, meanwhile, Berko Tornadoes breezed past Hemel Town Celtic in a 5-2 victory.

Ricky Shepherd bagged a hat-trick for Berko, and Andy Wheeler-King and Tom Kelly completed the scoring.

The Herald were also on form as Lee Simper (2) and Karl Davidson helped them to a 3-0 win over Boxmoor, while a Matt Gunary double gave Gossoms End a 2-1 win over Park Rangers.

AFC Rovers were the big winners in Division One, thrashing The Midland 8-0 courtesy of goals from Danny Tomkins (3), James Heward, Lawrence Kain, Rob Buckland, Tom Hardy and Dean Howie.

Warners End also won well, driving past Landrovers 4-1 with efforts from Ned Ozkasim, Marc Biswell, Dave Ferguson and Lee Picknell.

The Old Grey mare landed the odds at Berko Raiders as Greg Dormer (2), Kevin Turnham and Pete Hay earned a 4-3 win, and Greenacres II saw off VFC by the same scoreline.

Mark Crampton, Michael Tearle, Alex Palmer and Paul Hanafan got the goals for Greenacres.

Sportspace and The Robin Hood could not be separated, with Paul Baker and Dave Wilkinson on target in a 1-1 stalemate.

In Division Two, Drays Athletic kept on track with a 7-0 thumping of FC Intervino.

Livewire marksman Nick Jackson bagged a brace, and Adam Durrant, Lee Clarke, Jamie Smith, Ben Durrant and Russell Kercher completed the scoring.

It was a sweet day for Matt Honey as he hit four goals for KLCC in their 7-2 win at Tring Royals.

Honey led the way in front of goal, and Colin Wilson, Al Gunning and Steve Alderman also netted for KLCC.

Blackbirds Rangers also picked up three points as they put The Queens Head to the sword.

Gareth Carder (2), Jack Copson and Paul Lelliott got their names on the scoresheet in a 4-2 triumph.

Echoes had Paul Joyce and Oli Gurney to thank for their 2-0 win at Comets Reserves, while a last minute own-goal handed Run DFC a 1-0 win over Berko Tornadoes Reserves.

The Steamcoach were the biggest winners in Division Three – crushing AC Grapes 3-0 thanks to strikes from Graham Aikman, Gareth Cox and Gino Metcalfe.

Inter Hemel Sunday also won well, beating Park Rangers Reserves 3-1 with goals from Ryan Smith (2) and Jack Fender.

Sean Workman, Matt Richardson and Jamie Russell were the match-winners for AMG United in their 3-2 victory over the Three Blackbirds, but Potten End Sunday and Hemel Corinthians could not be separated.

Ben Poole and Lee Owens found the net for Potten End, but an Andy Deaton brace ensured the game ended all square.

In Division Four, two players shared all eight of Big GC FC’s goals in their 8-2 trouncing of Hemel Corinthians Reserves.

Adrian Keane helped himself to five, while Dan Fitzgerald completed the scoring with a hat-trick.

The Old Bell Gate took the three points in their clash with Apsley Athletic, with Dale Camper and an own goal doing the damage.

Palace and Green Park Rovers played out a 1-1 draw as Matt Wollacott hit the target for Palace and Paul Wilkins replied for Rovers.