Deja vu for Athletic as Boro bag the win

10/12/2011'Tring Athletic FC versus Haringey, in yellow and green.'Graham Hall with ball.
10/12/2011'Tring Athletic FC versus Haringey, in yellow and green.'Graham Hall with ball.


Tring Athletic 2 Haringey Borough 3

TRING Athletic went down 3-2 to Haringey Borough for the second time in three weeks as the visitors bagged all three points at The Grass Roots Stadium.

Haringey took a two-goal advantage into half-time and, despite second half goals from Tring’s Paul Jeffrey and Che To, the visitors held on to claim the win.

With a number of Athletic players unavailable for selection, and with promising young striker Stewart King having departed for Hitchin Town, Tring boss Julian Robinson was forced into a tactical reshuffle ahead of the contest.

That did not seem to affect the home side, though, as they made the brighter start of the two teams.

Matt Jarvis and Jeffrey both came close with headers from corners, before the latter’s fierce free-kick was well-saved by Haringey keeper Nick Christofi.

Graham Hall produced another good stop from Christofi shortly afterwards, before Andy Humphreys and Jeffrey both shot wide as Tring pressed for the opener.

The first goal of the game, however, came completely against the run of play as Haringey seized the advantage.

Roland Naquita picked up the ball in the area and fired home to give the visitors an unlikely lead.

Buoyed by the goal, the away side soon doubled their advantage as Tring struggled to regroup.

Darrell Cox broke through the Athletic defence and produced an exquisite lob to put Haringey 2-0 up heading into half-time.

Athletic started the second half slowly and keeper Tom Vincent was forced into a couple of good saves.

In the 68th minute, though, Mark Burfoot was introduced from the bench, and Tring began to press for a way back into the game.

Their reward came with 15 minutes remaining as Humphreys pulled the ball back to Jeffrey to sweep home and set up a grandstand finish.

Any hopes of a comeback were soon diminished, however, as Christopher Benjamin restored Haringey’s two-goal cushion.

To their credit, Tring continued to battle until the last minute, and To netted his first goal for the club to ensure the margin of defeat was just one goal.

Next up for Athletic is an away game against high-flying AFC Dunstable tonight, and the side will need to bounce back quickly from the Haringey loss if they are to take anything from the game.