Frustration for Tring in quickfire double

29/10/2011'Tring Athletic versus Colney Heath ( in black and white.)'Stewart King with ball.
29/10/2011'Tring Athletic versus Colney Heath ( in black and white.)'Stewart King with ball.


TRING Athletic were held to a draw in the league by Colney Heath before being knocked out of the Herts Senior Cup by Hitchin Town in a busy few days of action.

First up, a last-minute equaliser denied Athletic all three points in a 1-1 draw at home to Colney on Saturday, and that was followed by a 3-1 defeat by Evo-Sick Southern Premier Division side Hitchin on Monday.

In truth, a draw was the least Colney Heath deserved, having dominated large periods of the game at The Grass Roots Stadium.

Despite their sustained spells of possession though, Colney were struggling to create chances against a resolute Tring outfit and it was Julianson Robinson’s men who took the lead against the run of play inside the last 20 minutes,

Athletic captain Graham Hall broke down the right and his cross was bundled in from close range by Tony Fields to give Tring an unlikely lead.

Soon afterwards, Stewart King came close to adding a second for Tring, before Colney’s Jason Williams hit the post.

But just as it was beginning to look as though Tring had done enough to take the three points, the visitors struck through Dean Rhenphrey in the 90th minute to take a share of the spoils.

“It was disappointing to have conceded the equaliser in the last minute but they thoroughly deserved it to be honest,” said Tring boss Robinson. “They are a good side.”

Fresh from their exploits on Saturday, the Tring players were back in action for the Hitchin clash on Monday night.

And despite a good display from Tring, Hitchin’s quality shone through in the end as they bagged the win.

Hosts Hitchin took the lead through Carl Williams after 16 minutes, and Louis Lee doubled the advantage just before the hour mark.

Hall pulled one back for Tring from the spot after 73 minutes, following a foul on King, but Jamie Arlick wrapped up the win for Hitchin two minutes later.

“We were a bit unlucky,” said Robindson. “They were the strongest side we have played this season and we didn’t get the luck.

“We seem to play well against the better sides – the lads raise their game because its the level we aspire to be at.

“It was a shame not to get something out of the game.”

After a good start to the season in general, Robinson says his side are on track to achieve their objectives.

“I’m delighted with how things are going,” he said. “We have got a really decent bunch of lads.

“We’re aiming for the top six again – the difficult thing at this level is keeping up momentum.”

Next up for Athletic is a trip to Harefield for a league clash on Saturday afternoon.