Gutsy Tudors see off Barwell

editorial image

Barwell 2 Hemel Hempstead Town 3

HEMEL Town took a step closer to survival on Saturday as they bagged a priceless three points at Barwell.

The Tudors have been fighting for their lives in recent weeks, and a Danny May strike followed by a Ross Lafayette brace ensured that Town maintained their end of season surge towards safety.

Mark Eaton’s side have now picked up seven points from their last three league games. Although they still sit four points adrift of 18th-placed Redditch United, the situation looks a lot more promising for the Tudors than it had done earlier this month.

“We’ve done well and the credit has to go to the players,” said Eaton. “They’ve tried to listen to what we’ve said needs to be done, and they’ve taken it on board.

“It’s important nobody gets carried away because we still need to get a lot of points, but we are going in the right direction.

“Belief comes with results and things can change so quickly in football. If we new how to capture belief, we’d be millionaires.

“Hopefully we can ride this now and get some more good results. We’ve got to do the business in all of the rest of our games.

“We know the points target we need to achieve and we have got to be resolute in heading towards that.”

Hemel had to show their character against Barwell as the hosts took the lead after 33 minutes in spectacular fashion.

A shot was deflected to the edge of the Tudors’ penalty area, and Tom Weale was on hand to volley the ball into the top corner of the net to put the home side 1-0 up.

But Hemel were back on level terms in first-half stoppage time, courtesy of Danny May’s third goal in his last three games.

The Tudors were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area, and May stepped up to fire his side level.

Barwell pressed for a second goal at the start of the second half and saw an effort cannon back off the post, but it was Hemel who took the lead after 58 minutes.

A long throw was flicked into the path of Lafayette, and the Tudors front-man nipped in to prod home from three yards out.

It did not take long for Barwell to restore parity, though, as Kev Charley volleyed in after 68 minutes to bring the game level at 2-2.

But just four minutes later came what could prove to be a defining moment in Hemel’s season.

Nabil Shariff put Lafayette through on goal, and the forward kept his cool to slot past Barwell keeper Liam Castle to earn the crucial three points for the Tudors.

Next up for Hemel is a huge relegation six-pointer at home to Swindon Supermarine on Saturday.