Kings Langley win Herts FA Senior Centenary Trophy

editorial image

London Colney 2-4 Kings Langley

There were scenes of jubilation amongst Kings Langley players and supporters as they saw off London Colney in the Herts FA Senior Centenary Trophy to secure the biggest cup honour in the club’s history.

Despite struggling for the first quarter of the game, Kings fought back in determined fashion to claim the win courtesy of goals from Jimmy Armstrong, Evan Connolly, Craig Lynskey and Nathan Pooley.

It was just rewards for a Kings side who have been on imperious form in the cup competitions this season, and the Langley faithful will hope that the side can complete a hat-trick of trophies when they battle out the Herts Charity Shield and Division One Cup finals later this season.

Despite their overall dominance, Kings made a nervy start at the Herts FA County Ground in Letchworth, and keeper Ross Hampton had to be at his best to keep out efforts from Matt Newman and James Warner.

In between, Kings’ Sam Warrell did well to clear an effort off the line as London Colney started the game with real intent.

And Colney’s early pressure was rewarded after 10 minutes as an indirect free-kick from Greg Shaw deflected in off the Kings wall to give his side the lead.

However, that seemed to spark Kings into life and Armstrong brought the game level after 27 minutes as he lashed home his side’s first clear-cut chance of the game.

Kings, rejuvenated after their early wobble, were beginning to dominate proceedings, and it was the Dacorum side who took the lead just three minutes after half-time.

Jack Johnson’s cross reached Connolly, and he had no trouble in finding the net from close range.

But it did not take long for Colney to restore parity as they equalised through Newman within a minute of Connolly’s goal.

Kings were still in the ascendency, however, and Pooley his the post, before Warrell played in Lynskey to guide the ball home and restore the Kings lead with 12 minutes left to play.

From then on, there was only going to be one winner, and Pooley’s crisp, last-minute drive ensured that Gary Connolly lifted the cup for the delighted Kings.