Langley young guns shoot down The Peters

editorial image

New Bradwell St Peter 1
 Kings Langley 2

Kings Langley made it through to the second round of the MSSML Division One Cup as a young side battled past New Bradwell St Peter.

Kings made five changes to their starting XI for the tie, and gave youth a chance as they fielded a squad made up of entirely of 18 to 21-year-olds.

Despite the changes, Kings continued to play in their slick passing style, and debutante Sam Flood was denied by New Bradwell keeper Sam Jay from close range after getting on the end of a Callum Adebiyi cross.

It did not take Kings long to break the deadlock, however, as Tom Carter won the ball on the left wing and delivered a trademark blistering 25-yard shot into the far corner.

The Peters had a chance to equalise soon afterwards when Kings keeper Ross Hampton was chipped, but Liam James swept the goal-bound shot to safety.

Scott Bonner was marshalling the back three well – which also marked a welcome return for Gary Warrell – while wing-backs Jack Johnson and Adebiyi always looked dangerous and Shaun Owens and Jack Pattison were dictating the centre of midfield.

Link striker Flood doubled the Kings lead soon two minutes after half-time, heading in from close range from a Gary Wallace long throw, before a strong run and shot from Johnson saw the keeper’s block fall to Matt Collier – only for a defender to clear off the line.

Ellis Bannard and Louis Hobbs were given their debuts as Bradwell finally began threatening the visitors’ goal in the last fifteen minutes.

Chris Morgan’s shot on the run was well parried by Hampton, but Nathan Phillips screwed the rebound home, despite another block from the keeper.

The Langley Number 1 was called into further heroic saves from Moore and Phillips as the pressure mounted in the dying minutes, but Kings held on to win a match that they had dominated for 75 minutes.

The victory sets up a second round clash with Amersham Town, who won on penalties at Cranfield.