Last-gasp own-goal denies Leverstock the points at Holmer Green

editorial image

An own goal in stoppage time meant that Leverstock Green left Holmer Green with only a point from a 1-1 draw on Tuesday night.

The home side had the better of things early on, and could have taken the lead in the third minute when Tom Fifield was left clean through, but Kieran Jimmy saved with his legs.

Leverstock began to play their way into the game, and had their first chance after 16 minutes.

Dan Lake played a cross-field ball to David Sobers, who beat a defender before heading for the box and laying back for Callum Wright, whose shot struck the bar.

Holmer had another chance after 19 minutes, but Dean Powles shot into the side netting.

Leverstock were reduced to 10 men temporarily in the 25th minute when the referee ordered Lake to remove his underpants as they were a different colour to his shorts.

While Lake was off the pitch Holmer almost took advantage of the space down the left wing, but Leverstock won the ball and played it over the top to Sobers.

He ran clear before squaring for Jimmy Talbot, whose curling side-footed shot crept just inside the post for his first goal for the club since joining from Wealdstone.

Sobers was causing all sorts of problems for the Holmer defence, and on 32 minutes he set up Wright for another shot which was saved by the keeper.

The second half was something of a non-event, with barely a chance for either side – although Leverstock always looked the more likely to score.

In the closing minutes Louis Bircham almost clinched the points with an audacious effort from the halfway line which wasn’t far off.

It was still 1-0 going into added time, though, and disaster struck in the second minute of stoppages.

There was little danger as a Holmer free-kick was swung over. Jimmy came out to collect it, but Liam Hind didn’t hear the call and headed it back to his keeper, who was no longer there and the ball ended up in his own net.

The remaining four minutes of stoppage time saw increased panic in the Leverstock defence, and Holmer almost won it with a free-kick from Zac Martin which flew inches over the bar.

Leverstock now turn their attention to the FA Cup, and the visit of Newport Pagnell Town to Pancake Lane for Saturday’s extra preliminary round tie.