Leverstock Green strike late to see off stubborn strugglers Hatfield


Liam Hind scored twice in the last five minutes to earn a 3-1 win for Leverstock Green at SSML Premier Division bottom side Hatfield Town.

There was an early chance when Dan Lake lofted a cross to the far post in the third minute, but Callum Wright’s header was saved by keeper Scott Montgomery.

Most of Green’s chances came midway through the first - Hind floated in a free kick which Wright met with a flicked header that looped over Montgomery, but hit the bar.

Seconds later, Mark Woolley hit a shot from distance which was turned wide by Montgomery, and from the resulting corner Elliot Braithwaite’s diving header was saved again by the Hatfield keeper.

Wright had another chance after 28 minutes when Dan Lake’s square ball found him in front of goal, but Montgomery saved again.

However, with 34 minutes on the clock, Wright ran on to a through ball from Chad Pinching and sidestepped two defenders on the edge of the box before firing home an emphatic shot past Montgomery to open the scoring.

Wright almost returned the favour two minutes later as he chipped in a cross to Pinching, but Green’s top scorer didn’t catch the ball properly and the keeper saved easily.

The home side didn’t threaten the Green goal at all until the last five minutes of the half, when a couple of crosses flashed across the face of goal.

Leverstock made a slower start to the second half, and paid the price for missing their first half chances when Hatfield equalised after 59 minutes.

A free-kick was floated in from 40 yards and Marcelion Diambaka came in to head home from close range as Leverstock conceded yet another goal from a set piece.

Green kept pushing forward in search of another goal, but it was looking as though Hatfield would end their run of 11 straight league defeats until the last five minutes of the game.

With 85 minutes played, Hind swung in a corner which was headed back to him, and he crashed home a low shot from the left edge of the penalty area to finally break the Hatfield resistance.

More was to come in the 89th minute as Mark Woolley was brought down as he chased a ball into the penalty area. The referee awarded the spot kick, and Hind blasted it home for his second of the match to complete a decisive 3-1 win.

The win moves Leverstock up to 29 points, within range of a few teams above them if they can put together a run of wins. Next up is a home game against Biggleswade United on Saturday.