Levy missing out on the rub of the Green

Action from Leverstock Green's clash with Colney Heath. Picture courtesy of Alan Lee.
Action from Leverstock Green's clash with Colney Heath. Picture courtesy of Alan Lee.
Share this article


Colney Heath 2 Leverstock Green 1

LEVERSTOCK Green’s sticky patch of form continued with a 2-1 defeat at Colney Heath.

After winning their opening ten league games of the season, Levy have now picked up just one point from their last four fixtures.

And Green will be particularly disappointed about the latest defeat, having created enough opportunities to secure a draw at the very least.

“We played fairly well,” said Levy boss Steve Heath. “I thought we were the better team but things just aren’t going for us.

“We had to put up with some strange refereeing decisions.

“Still, we’ve had some games where we have had some luck so I suppose things do even themselves out over the course of the season.”

Last season’s top scorer Louis Austin was welcomed back into the Levy side after a seven-week injury lay-off, while Colney were playing their first game under the management of ex-Hemel Town boss Gary Phillips.

The game started in a cagey manor, but both sides had chances to open the scoring.

First, Heath’s Ian Cooper shot over the bar from close range, before Austin did the same after being put through on goal.

The striker tried to round host keeper Billy Barnes and looked to have been tripped, but to the Green man’s credit he stayed on his feet instead of going down for a certain penalty.

Colney came close again as a free-kick hit the post, and the home side broke the deadlock after 34 minutes as Jamie Eames fired home.

Green had the chance to equalise two minutes later, but Lee Bircham hit the post with his penalty kick after a handball in the area.

Bircham, though, was given a reprieve as Austin marked his return to the side with a deft lob to restore parity in the last minute of the half.

And Green almost went in ahead at the interval, but Dan Griggs’ screamer came down off the bar.

The visitors started the second half as they had ended the first, with Griggs and Austin both coming close to handing Levy the lead.

Colney, though, worked themselves back into the game and struck the winner in the 73rd minute after a poorly-worked Green set-piece.

Having been awarded a free-kick just outside the Colney area, the idea was for Bekim Culaj to pass the ball to the side of the wall for Austin to run round the back – but the pass was intercepted and cleared quickly, allowing the hosts to break and score through Jason Williams.

Levy boss Heath made three substitutions in an attempt to salvage the game, but the hosts dug deep to send Green home empty-handed.