Sides rise to the Challenge to keep cup dreams alive

13/8/2011'Leverstock Green FC versus Hillingdon, in orange and black.'Adam Hallissey scores Green's second goal.
13/8/2011'Leverstock Green FC versus Hillingdon, in orange and black.'Adam Hallissey scores Green's second goal.
Share this article

IT was a good night for the Dacorum sides on Tuesday as Levy Green, Tring and Berkhamsted all made it through to the third round of the Challenge Trophy.

Levy saw off Hatfield Town 3-1 after extra-time, Tring beat Ampthill Town 3-2 and Berkhamsted triumphed 2-1 over Kentish Town in a busy night of cup action.

It was Levy who provided arguably the tie of the night, as they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against Hatfield Town.

Credit must go to goalkeeper Gareth Tinsley who, with 19 minutes to go, conceded a penalty, but recovered well to make a fine save and keep his side in the game.

Still trailing 1-0 in stoppage time, Green looked to be heading out of the competition, but Adam Hallissey bagged a 93rd minute equaliser to send the tie into extra-time.

And with the momentum in their favour, Green booked their place in the next round of the tournament courtesy of goals from makeshift striker Louis West and a second from Hallissey two minutes later.

Lee Stobbs came close to adding gloss to the scoreline with a sublime chip, but his effort came back off the post to ensure the game finished 3-1.

The win showed great character from a Levy side who have been struggling for form recently after a tremendous start to the season.

A super last-minute strike from Sam Mitchell, meanwhile, secured Tring’s path into the third round of the competition. Athletic were forced to come from behind twice against a determined Ampthill side who had to play most of the second half with 10 players.

Tony Fields and Vinnie Iannone kept Tring in the game after Ampthill had gone in front, before Mitchell pounced late on to win the game for Athletic.

Berkhamsted, meanwhile, had their strikers to thank for their progression into the next round.

Prolific marksmen Lawrence Bunker and Tony Burnett bagged the goals as the Comrades edged past Kentish Town at Broadwater.

After a string of injuries and suspensions, Berko have started to find some form as key players return to the side.

Bunker’s return from a seven-week ban has provided a boost to the team, with the forward quickly getting back into his stride.

Kings Langley, meanwhile, were in MSSML Division One action and picked up a crushing 7-2 victory over Stony Stratford Town.

Two penalties within the first 15 minutes saw Louis Perris give Stony the lead, before Kings’ Jimmy Armstrong drew the sides level.

The striker then put Kings ahead, and Matt Johnson added a third as he volley home an unstoppable shot from outside of the box.

The home side turned the screw in the second half, with Armstrong completing his hat-trick, before Nathan Pooley chipped the keeper to make it 5-1.

Mark Hansard and Matt Johnson wrapped the victory up for Kings, either side of a Stony Stratford consolation.

The win moves Kings up into ninth position in the league table.