Camelot taught trick or two by Old Boys

editorial image


UCS Old Boys 44 Camelot 34

camelot returned home from their Saturday trip to UCS Old Boys with nothing to show for their troubles.

Old Boys kicked off but the visitors quickly won a penalty, advancing into the opposition 22 for a lineout.

The home side stole possession from the lineout and pressed back down field to win a scrum near the visitors’ 22.

The referee then awarded UCS a penalty and sent Camelot wing Ryan Doyle to the sin-bin with a yellow card for a trip, which appeared to be a bit harsh.

Camelot were reduced to 14 men on the field for 10 minutes, and the home side took full advantage, breaking through the defence to score the first try of the match after 10 minutes.

UCS continued to attack from the restart, stealing possession from a lineout in the Hemel 22, to break through and score a second try, which they also converted making the score 12-0 after 13 minutes.

Camelot continued to struggle in defence as the home side broke through again to score their third try and extend their lead to 17-0 after only 16 minutes.

Camelot finally got into gear, pressing forward to the opposition 22.

Fly half Richard Woodard intercepted a pass and sprinted through under the posts to score a great try, which he also converted to narrow the score to 17-7 after 18 minutes.

Old Boys defended another Camelot attack at the restart and then stole possession from a Hemel scrum to break round the defence and score their fourth try on 22 minutes, stretching the lead to 22-7.

But Camelot battled back again, winning a penalty and advancing into the opposition 22 for a penalty and then a scrum.

The forwards drove the opposition backwards across the line but were held up to deny the score. The side continued to battle near the tryline and finally won a penalty, which Woodard kicked successfully making the score 22-10 after 31 minutes.

The two sides battled for possession and advantage from the restart with play travelling back and forth between the sides’ 22m lines.

Camelot finally gained the upper hand when fullback Carl Buckingham received the ball and sprinted down field to the opposition 22.

His smart kick across the field found wing Nick Merritt who darted across the line to score a great try .

Woodard stepped up to secure the extra points and narrowed the score to 22-17 just before the half time whistle blew.

Old Boys won a penalty shortly after the start of the second half, which they kicked for a lineout in the Hemel side’s 22.

They then stole possession from a Camelot scrum and drove across the line to score a try which took the score to 27-17, six minutes into the second half.

Camelot responded immediately at the restart, advancing straight into the opposition 22 to steal possession from a scrum. Scrum half Tom Aitken collected the ball and made a neat grubber kick through the defence, full back Carl Buckingham chased it down to score a good try, making the score 27-22.

UCS won a series of penalties after the restart, which took them into the Camelot 22 for a lineout and further penalty.

They broke through the defence to score a try making the score 32-22 now 16 minutes into the half.

Old Boys won another penalty near the Hemel 22 at the restart and then broke through to score another try, which they also converted, extending their lead to 39-22.

Camelot fought back and when the ball was kicked through behind the defence, Merritt chased it down to score his second try to make it 39-27.

They continued to fight back withBuckingham scoring his second try, which Woodard also converted narrowing the score to 39-34 with 10 minutes of the match remaining.

But the Old Boys responded, winning a penalty which took them into the Hemel 22 where they broke through to score another try making the score 44-34 shortly before the final whistle blew.

This was a disappointing result for Camelot in the first match of 2012.

They play Imperial Medicals at home this week and will look to bounce back.