Your weekly round-up of cricket action from in and around Dacorum

Cricket round-up
Cricket round-up

Rain played havoc with the cricket fixtures again on Saturday, although a few hardy sides did manage to prevent the weekend from being a complete washout.

Hemel Town

Hemel Town I shared a draw with Stevenage in a heavily rain-affected game.

Most of Hemel’s bowling was done by spinners Nick Hodgins (2-51) and Parth Mehta (2-69) as Stevenage finished on 208-7.

In reply, Brett Penny (26) and Hem Ilamgaratne (28) got Hemel off to a decent start, but the bad weather meant the draw was always the likely outcome.

Elsewhere, Mill Hill Village III strolled to a comfortable victory over Hemel Town V.

Hemel were bowled out in wet conditions for 137, with only Chris Wright (36) and Trevor Radcliffe (27) making any score of note.

It was better news for the club on Sunday, however, as Hemel Town saw off Northchurch to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Herts County Cup.

Batting first, Northchurch posted a score of 129 all out as only Levi Thomson-Matthews (61) and Mark Hobley (27) made any notable contributions. Gareth James snared 4-14 and Perth Mehta took 4-24.

In reply, Tom Elborn hit 58 for Hemel and Matt Dale (28 n/o) saw them home.

Kings Langley

Kings Langley II beat Radlett II with two balls to spare to win by seven wickets.

Redbourn scored 202-6 with Chris Yorath finishing on 113 not out. The wickets were shared by the Kings bowlers with Radley Tant taking 2-26.

In reply, Kings made a solid start and lost their first wicket on 54 but the match-winning stand of 113 came from Tony Morton (108) and Tom Clark (47). Ben Joyce (22 n/o) saw his side home.

Kings Langley III, meanwhile, went down by three wickets to Parkfield & Headstone II, scoring 158 all out with Russell Knights making 56 and Gordon Sambidge adding 43.

Parkfield secured their win in the 48th over, despite Tim Gould taking 3-49.

Kings Langley IV maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a solid draw at Botany Bay.

Kings recovered from 46-6 to finish on 133 all out. Nick Smith, coming in at number eight, scored his highest ever score of 56 to lead the recovery.

Botany Bay were going well in reply but slumped from 64-1 to finish on 118-6. Tony Thompson took 3-29, Barry Harding 2-40 and Toby Hendy 1-11.

Elsewhere, Kings’ Herts County Cup hopes came to an end as they lost to Sawbridgeworth in a rain-affected match.

Kings won the toss and elected to field, bowling their visitors out for 215. Mark Brazier and Andrew Burnell took three wickets each.

In reply, Duncan Fleming and Les Brown both got into the 30s and Paul Ashford and Brazier were batting well before the rain forced the players off.

Kings reached 111-4 in 31 overs and the game was abandoned with Sawbridgeworth declared winners by virtue of a faster scoring rate.


Berkhamsted I suffered a five-wicket defeat at the hands of Sawbridgeworth II.

Batting first, Berkhamsted struggled to 121 all out, with only Gareth Preedy (35) and James Wyatt (30) reaching the 30s.

In reply, Joshua Roberts snared 4-28, but Sawbridgeworth got home for the loss of five wickets.

Elsewhere, an unbeaten stand of 78 from opener Chris Debonnaire set Berkhamsted II on their way to a comfortable victory over Bayford & Hertford II.

Bowling first, miserly Berkhamsted restricted their hosts to 140-8, with Ed Sibley recording figures of 3-22.

In reply, Debbonnaire set the tone from the top, with Luke Frey (35 n/o) also batting well as Berko cruised home.


Redbourn I enjoyed a good win at Ickleford, with Gary Sandford starring with the bat.

Bowling first in damp conditions, Redbourn restricted Ickleford to 221.

After tea, opener George Naismith took advantage of being dropped four times to reach 69, while Sandford finished on an unbeaten 103 to lead his side to victory for the loss of just two wickets.

In other action, Redbourn III lost out to Watford Town III on a wet and windy day at the Recreation Ground.

Having lost the toss, Redbourn were put in to bat and were immediately in trouble, losing wickets in quick succession as they subsided to 86 all out. Ray Smith and Murray Claessen top-scored with 21 runs each.

In reply, Watford batted aggressively and the visitors knocked off the runs with plenty of overs to spare.